Mohonk Preserve, New York State’s largest member & visitor supported nature preserve,
is seeking energetic people who love the outdoors to fill positions as:
The Mohonk Preserve protects the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspires people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. The Preserve manages 8,500 acres of the northern Shawangunk Mountains in Ulster County, NY through four integrated programs – Conservation Science, Education, Land Stewardship, and Land Protection, and is a regional model for large-scale conservation planning. We have an annual budget of $4.6 million, 38 year-round staff, over 400 volunteers, and a diverse support base of over 16,000 members.
We have a strong and dedicated Land Stewardship department and Ranger staff. Trailhead Assistants work in the Land Stewardship Department and report directly to the Associate Director of Visitor Services.
The ideal candidate:
- Will be organized, friendly, very outgoing, diplomatic, reliable, and punctual.
- Enjoys being outdoors.
- Works at fixed locations collecting fees from Preserve day visitors, selling Preserve memberships, and providing visitors with information as they enter the property.
- Candidates must have knowledge of the Mohonk Preserve and Mohonk Mountain House carriage road and trail network.
- Good communication and customer service skills.
- Ability to read maps and orient visitors.
- Ability to make sales transactions. Experience working with credit card machines is preferred.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook or similar email application as well as Internet.
- Knowledge of the Preserve’s mission, geography, and location of adjoining attractions to the Mohonk Preserve is essential.
- Valid driver’s license; good driving record, proof of insurance, ability to pass background check.
- Because of the nature of visitor services, candidates must be willing to work irregular hours including weekends and holidays.
For more information please email Jon Ross, Associate Director, Visitor Services at email@example.com
This job announcement is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties assigned.
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes a diverse pool of applicants.