Summer Internship Focused on Health Care
Summer Internship focused on Health Care Operations
L.A. Care’s mission is to provide access to quality health care for Los Angeles County's vulnerable and low-income communities and residents and to support the safety net required to achieve that purpose. Committed to offering accessible, affordable and high quality health care, L.A. Care Health Plan is an independent local public agency created by the State of California to provide health coverage to low-income Los Angeles County residents through a variety of health coverage programs including L.A. Care Covered™, L.A. Care Cal MediConnect Plan and PASC-SEIU Homecare Workers Health Care Plan. With more than 2 million members in four product lines, L.A. Care is the nation’s largest publicly operated health plan.
This internship will provide the intern the opportunity to learn about the development of project strategy and business objectives by developing analytical framework and analyzing healthcare metrics. The intern will work closely with product leadership and core functional areas by through engagement and assessing product needs. The intern will learn and utilize skills in decision-making, program planning, public speaking, meeting facilitation, note-taking and other tasks as assigned.
The intern will learn health plan product and benefit information specific to Medi-Cal members, seniors and persons with disabilities/coordinated care initiatives focused on improving health care access and quality for vulnerable populations. The intern will be expected to display the following core competencies.
- Professionalism and the ability and maturity to work with diverse stakeholders
- Flexibility and adaptability to quickly changing environments and situations utilizing critical thinking skills
- Strong, concise writing skills and ability to quickly summarize complex topics
- Ability to take initiative to ask questions, seek out solutions and keep team informed
- Basic understanding of root cause analysis and ability to summarize in charts/graphs
- Teamwork, delegation and experience in cooperation on complex projects
The intern will utilize and develop skills such as research, policy writing, managed care operations, understanding of L.A. County’s health system, data collection and analysis, cultural sensitivity, organizational needs assessments, strategic planning, program development, management, evaluation, process improvement, health plan administration, problem solving, project management and meeting facilitation and note-taking.
- In partnership with other Medi-Cal segments and cross functional areas the intern will learn healthcare metrics and proxy measures
- Create analytic framework to assess trends
- Develop spreadsheets, written reports and presentations
- Enhance critical thinking and assessment skills to identify needs/gaps
- Provide project management support including but not limited to planning, scheduling, implementing, helping to establish appropriate metrics to quantify results and impact and identifying and resolving root-cause relationships/challenges and making recommendations (e.g., process improvement);
- Attend a variety of events and meetings, document and report efforts (e.g., reports, presentations to staff and management), and perform other duties, as assigned.
Desired Intern Profile/Qualifications
A “macro-thinker” who enjoys research, writing and data analysis (compiling, interpreting and synthesizing data, documenting findings and making recommendations). Experience working with senior leadership/management and previous project planning experience a plus, but not required. A self-motivated quick learner with strong verbal and written communication skills. A problem solver who is not afraid to simultaneously “dive into” multiple projects/assignments that may be unstructured. An independent “go-getter” who can prioritize and switch priorities/tasks as needed while staying on task. An organized and enthusiastic candidate who takes initiative and states his/her opinion, but is not afraid to ask questions. A decisive time-manager with a good attitude that is flexible, able to take direction, and is open to getting constructive feedback. Familiar with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio).
1055 West 7th Street, 10th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Interview Coordinator: Ashley Barnes, Workforce and Education,
Human Resources, work: 213.694.1250 x 4265 email: email@example.com
Field Instructor/Preceptor: (TBD)