AMPLIFY Writing Internship: Under-represented perspectives on mental health and wellness
Hi! We’re Supportiv, the digital peer support network for mental health and wellness. We connect people going through similar struggles so they can support each other, and we break down complicated emotional issues into understandable, practical, tactical, how to articles. You may have seen us featured in Men's Health, Health Magazine, or winning the SXSW pitch competition (2019).
The goal of our article collections is to walk readers through the knowledge and ideas they need to feel self-empowered through struggles. That’s why we especially want to hear from student writers who are interested in addressing mental health perspectives that are under-represented in digital journalism, such as people of color, those with disabilities, veteran status, LGBTQIA+ identity, etc. Building a published writing portfolio is important for future career development, and we want to help amplify these voices.
Who is this internship for?
- College students (including recently graduated Seniors)
- Voices under-represented in the world of digital journalism, such as people of color, those with disabilities, veteran status, LGBTQIA+ identity, etc.
- People who understand that emotional health is intricate, and can synthesize those details in creative ways.
What will the internship look like?
- Several authors will be selected to complete this writing internship, as we aim to capture a range of diverse voices.
- Upon selection, an introductory Zoom meeting with Supportiv’s editorial lead will provide an overview of expectations, timeline, and other details.
- By August 1, 2020, interns will submit a first draft of their article(s). The editorial lead will provide edits via email within one week of submission.
- By August 15, 2020, interns will submit final drafts for publication.
- Each intern will receive a $100 stipend and a byline on Supportiv.com, which has 250,000+ visitors per month. Backlinks to the author’s personal site also available.
- Your article topic must relate to an existing category on Supportiv’s site (www.supportiv.com, see Article Collections), and may incorporate personal narrative in a way that increases the article’s value to readers.
- You will research and reference credible psychology sources.
- You will solicit and incorporate firsthand expert input (recorded interview or quotes to back up or provide context for your points, actionable tips/suggestions from expert, etc - we are open to creative ideas!)
- 2000 word minimum
How To Apply:
- Prepare your article pitch(es) using the template provided below.
- Complete the Google Form application here: https://forms.gle/SY22Wsm5PjeBpFWq6
- Upload requested materials, including your pitch(es) and resume to the Google Form
Your Article Pitch Template:
Please familiarize yourself with the content topics we publish at Supportiv: Depression, Anxiety, Coping Tools, Stress Relief, Family Drama, Loneliness, etc.
Your pitch should include:
- Sample title for the article you’d like to write
- What under-represented perspective or voice does your piece amplify?
- 2-3 sentences summarizing why the topic matters. (Why would people read this?)
- How do you plan to incorporate credible reference source material?
- Who would you like to include as a featured expert for quotes, etc.? How will you reach them?
You may include multiple pitches with your application. Each pitch should include these elements.
Questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org