UNH Open-Air Teaching Fellow
The UNH Open-Air Teaching Fellow will have the opportunity, in collaboration with UNH faculty, to design programming for Youth Serving Organizations throughout New Hampshire with a specific focus in Manchester, Concord, and Nashua. One of the aims of the UNH Open-Air Teaching Fellows Project is to meet the needs of families in under-resourced areas during Co-Vid 19 and utilize out-door spaces as much as possible. All undergraduates who are invested, and enthusiastic about working with K-12 students are eligible to apply. As a Teaching Fellow, you will have the opportunity to design programs that align with your interests, to meet the interests of the youth and families we serve, whether these interests are in the sciences, technology, mathematics, engineering, or the arts and humanities. All Teaching Fellows will play a major role in the design, organization and planning, and implementation of the programming, which will be an essential need during these challenging times.
Additionally, although your teaching area may not be specific to STEM, Teaching Fellows will be expected to support the evaluation of the school-year programming, which will ultimately be written into an impact statement for the UNH STEM Discovery Lab. Ideally, if available, the Teaching Fellow would be encouraged to apply for an instructor position for our summer youth programming.
· Support learning activities and help maintain an energetic and enthusiastic learning environment as directed by the programs’ organizers;
· Collaborate on the design and pedagogical approaches of the curriculum to elementary, middle-school, and high school students that you will be teaching;
· Develop understanding of program curriculum and document, review, and develop curriculum artifacts;
· Assist with student arrival and departure as needed
· Manage on-site equipment, tools, materials and other instructional logistics as needed or requested by lead facilitators and lab staff;
· Support planning and preparation of school year program activities, configuration and maintenance of learning spaces, and organization and maintenance of learning materials and supplies;
· Collect, organize, and analyze participant data;
· Assist with program outcomes reporting and evaluation;
· Attend required training and orientation sessions;
· Invested and interest in education, specifically STEAM Education;
· Demonstrated strong academic standing;
· Seeking a degree in education or related field;
· Has a background in at least one of STEAM discipline.
· Excellent time management, organizational and communication skills
· Familiarity and enjoyment working with youth in an informal or formal setting;
· Ability to collaborate successfully on team projects;
· Integrity, maturity, enthusiastic demeanor, and commitment to the UNH Open-Air Teaching Fellows vision.
Teaching Fellow Learning Outcomes:
· Teaching Fellows will develop her/his skills as an effective communicator and collaborator through planning learning experiences with a team;
· Teaching Fellows will increase their time management abilities in an intensive work schedule during active camp weeks and with flexible time during off camp weeks;
· Teaching Fellows will learn the dynamics of collaborative partnerships with the YMCA after school program in Manchester;
· Teaching Fellows will increase their ability to organize and maintain detailed records for later analysis and reporting;
· Teaching Fellows will gain experience teaching and facilitating Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematic programs and integrated arts and humanities to middle and elementary aged youth;
· Teaching Fellows will be exposed to the intricacies of working with multi-lingual students and their families;
· Teaching Fellows will develop leadership skills in managing the operations of the day to day program;
· Funding resources are available through the UNHM STEM Discovery Lab for teaching materials;
· Fellows will work with organization personnel, university faculty, and program coordinators throughout all stages of design and implementation;
· UNH Open-Air Teaching Fellows are UNH students participating in experiential learning experiences at the STEM Discovery Lab, Manchester area schools and youth-serving organizations. Teaching Fellows work collaboratively to design and facilitate youth activities in STEM and the arts and humanities.