Environmental Protection Forester 2
The CT DEEP Forestry Division is seeking to hire an EP Forester 2 within our Private and Municipal Lands Program. In this role, you will lead the Forestry Division's Urban Forestry effort by providing technical assistance to cities and towns. Duties include:
- This position works statewide independently administering and coordinating the Division of Forestry’s Urban Forestry program.
- Provides technical assistance to municipalities through their Tree Wardens, tree workers, tree boards, citizens, civic groups and non-profits.
- Develops annual grant narratives and reports all program accomplishment in compliance with USDA Forest Service requirements.
- Administers Tree City USA and Tree Campus USA and actively assists towns and cities helping them to understand and achieve the qualifying standards for those programs.
- Administers the American the Beautiful grant program, as funding is available, which provides support to efforts such as planning and inventory, coordination of volunteer efforts, tree planting programs, and the protection and enhancement of community tree resources.
- Acts as the Department liaison to the Urban Forestry Council assisting them in program development, coordination and implementation.
- Represents the Department on committees and task forces involving urban trees.
- Creates educational tools and publications, conducts trainings and tours related to urban forestry.
- Provides guidance on urban forestry policy issues at the state level.
- Builds new and retains existing relationships and partnerships including but not limited to state and federal agencies, tree wardens, municipal officials, community leaders and commissions, non-profit and civic groups, volunteer agencies and groups, citizens, utility companies and tree services in order to coordinate efforts and build synergy in the development and execution of urban forestry.
- May provide communities guidance in the utilization of urban wood.
- May lead and assist in fire prevention and control activities including the training and direction of fire wardens and crews
- May be required to assist other states or federal agencies on emergency assignments.
- Performs related duties as required.