ATG R&D INTERN-MECHANICAL ENGINEERING (FALL)
The R&D Mechanical Engineer Intern supports Advanced Technology Group research activities by providing mechanical design and prototyping services to multiple projects. The ideal candidate will work under the supervision of ATG engineering staff to develop, design and build physical prototype, and support prototyping infrastructure. He/She should be able to demonstrate proficiency with both analytical design and physical fabrication techniques across mechanical and mechatronics engineering.
The start date is ASAP, working 30-40 hours per week.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provides ideation, mechanical design, and prototyping services to support multiple projects within UPS ATG
- Supports design programs under supervision of ATG engineering staff
- Assists in operation, maintenance, and user programming development for ATG Rapid Prototyping Lab
- Reports on work progress to ATG engineering staff
Knowledge and Skills
- Rising college junior or senior, or recent graduate within the last 24 months, pursing a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics or Robotics Engineering
- Demonstrable, hands-on electromechanical prototyping experience
- Highly comfortable with basic machine shop tools (mill, lathe, 3D printer, hand & power tools), basic electronics prototyping and debugging, and basic hardware/software interfacing (via DAQ/Arduino/RPi/etc.)
- Comfortable with designing multi-part assemblies, generating low-volume production-ready drawings, and working in PDM environment
- 2 years' additional work experience and/or graduate educational experience - Preferred
- Specific prototyping equipment experience: welding, waterjet, sheet metal fab, CNC milling and toolpathing - Preferred
- Experience in Solidworks PDM administration and sheet metal design - Preferred
- Experience working with outside manufacturers identifying machine shops, generating drawings and requesting quotes, managing drawing revisions and negotiations with shops - Preferred
Portfolio of previous work must be provided during interview process.
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law