Recreation Program Coordinator
Closing Date: 11/29/21 at 5 pm CT
Salary: $20.88 - $24.73 Hourly
Occupational Group: Non-Civil Service
Job Type: Regular Half-Time
Vacancy Location: Parks and Recreation
Under direction, to supervise direct, and assume control of various specialized areas within the total recreation program, or a specialized recreation activity, and to do related work as required.
Note: Work schedule varies between 20-29 hours per week and up to 40 hours per week during peak season (May-September) provided work and funding availability.
Starting wage is $20.88/hour.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Graduation from high school and two years of group leadership experience in a recreation setting, including concentration in one or more specialties in the field of recreation or sports.
- A college degree in recreation or a related field may be substituted for the required two years of experience.
Current Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification Water Safety Instructor Trainer (WSIT), Lifeguard Training and CPR, Lifeguard Instructor (LGI), Lifeguard Instructor Trainer (LGIT), and prior lifeguard experience preferred.
PLEASE NOTE: SUBMITTAL OF COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS (OFFICIAL OR UNOFFICIAL) IS REQUIRED BY APPLICATION DEADLINE IN ORDER TO RECEIVE CREDIT. FAILURE TO SUBMIT COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS MAY RESULT IN APPLICATION DISQUALIFICATION.
REQUIRED SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer physical examination and drug screen.
- License or Other Requirements: Current certification in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid, and/or an applicable, valid driver's license is required when work assignment requires said certification and/or involves driving a vehicle.
The City of Des Moines' Residency Requirement is in effect for this position. Applicant must be a resident of the City of Des Moines within thirteen (13) months of appointment date and maintain residency within the City of Des Moines while employed in this position.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL WORK (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Plans, coordinates, supervises, and instructs various recreation activities; leads and officiates one or more activities as requested.
- Participates in agency planning, research and training, budget and action plan preparation.
- Works closely with other recreation agencies to assure the proper development of recreational facilities in all areas.
- Meets with neighborhood and special interest groups; assists organized groups in developing programs of recreation for special meetings.
- Works with recreation staff to complete logistic support and supervisory assignments in the conduct of special activities; promotes and publicizes activities with the media.
- Trains recreation leaders in techniques and application of recreation principles; recruits and trains temporary staff and volunteers; ensures safety of participants.
- Maintains necessary records and submits required reports.
- Performs related work as required.
Applicants deemed most qualified based on qualifications may be contacted for an interview. Qualified applicants who need a reasonable accommodation must inform this office at (515) 283-4213 or TTY at Iowa Relay at 711 or 1-800-735-2942 prior to closing date.