Science Writing Fall Internship
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
The Fermilab Office of Communication science writing internship provides the opportunity to write for Fermilab’s online publications, including press releases and feature articles. Jointly with SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Fermilab also publishes Symmetry, an online magazine about the science, people and culture of particle physics. Interns may also write for other laboratory publications and Fermilab's websites. We also give interns the opportunity to assist with media events, social media and general public relations activities.
• Write Fermilab news and feature articles, website content and other content as needed
• Write features for Symmetry, an online particle physics magazine
• Participate in communication meetings
• Expand your knowledge of particle physics and related science and engineering fields
We are looking for:
• Recent graduates of a science-writing or journalism program or recent undergraduates with a degree in English, journalism, communications or science.
• 0-2 years of science writing experience.
• Ability to research, interview, write and edit science news stories and other nontechnical science communication materials.
• Interest in science and science writing and an enthusiasm for learning about new subjects with respect to the scientific world.
• Excellent writing and organization skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills for effective interaction with scientists, the public and the media.
• Ability to work well under pressure, meet regular deadlines and juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Skill in the use of computers and standard software and the ability to navigate and use the internet.
• Willingness to respect, understand and value individual differences that embody laboratory principles of diversity and inclusion.
• Three writing samples, published or unpublished (please upload under the resume section)
• Cover letter (please upload under the resume section)
Application Period: June 6-26, 2022
Acceptance Period: July 2022
Program Dates: Approximately Sept. 6–Dec.16, 2022
Salary: Approximately $660 weekly
Housing: Housing is not provided or arranged by the program. Request information on affordable housing options by emailing TAinternships@fnal.gov
Transportation: Transportation is not provided or arranged by the program. Request rental car information by emailing TAinternships@fnal.gov
If you have any questions or issues with your application please email TAinternships@fnal.gov
FRA encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted to prevent transmission of COVID-19 and to mitigate against severe illness from infection. Upon employment with FRA, all employees must state their vaccination status. Please note that all vaccination and testing requirements are subject to change. Testing of unvaccinated employees may be required for Fermilab site access, depending on community transmission levels.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.