Railroad Bridge Engineer (Internship)
Fair Dermody Consulting Engineers is looking for interns to support a small growing team in producing professional, economical, and commonsense plans and specifications for railroad bridge repair and design projects. All interns will be considered for full-time employment. The exact timeframe for the internship is flexible. We can accommodate a variety of dates and schedules for the right candidate.
Tasks performed will include but are not limited to:
- Interpret existing plans and draft existing and proposed conditions using AutoCAD for rehabilitation projects
- Perform load ratings on various types of railroad structures
- Assist with railroad bridge inspections (likely one 1-week trip for a typical 90 day internship)
- Design and draft railroad bridge deck replacement plans
- Perform preliminary design calculations for railroad bridge rehabilitation and replacement (steel, concrete, timber)
- Working towards a BS in Civil Engineering (structural emphasis preferred)
- Working towards an E.I.T. or E.I. certification
- Current or future coursework in Steel and Reinforced Concrete Design
- Experience in AutoCAD and Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Self-motivated and willing to take responsibility
- Excellent attention to detail and a strong commitment to quality
There will be no benefits for interns paid hourly. However, FDCE offers competitive salaries and provides benefits to full-time employees, including:
- health, dental, vision (100% paid by FDCE)
- SEP IRA retirement plan
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance (100% paid by FDCE)
- Paid Time Off (PTO), Paid Sick Leave, etc.
- Continuing education opportunities
- Flexible work hours
- Dog Friendly office
Work is performed in both field and office settings. Outdoor work is subject to temperature extremes and inclement weather conditions. The position requires sufficient physical abilities and mobility to work in an office setting and field environment. Frequent site visits and overnight stays are required for inspection and project oversight.
Must pass a physical examination. A criminal background check and driving record check will be conducted. FDCE is a drug and alcohol-free work place. Random drug and alcohol testing will be required for interns who work on railroad property (FRA requirement).
Fair Dermody Consulting Engineers, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.