PROS Peer Specialist
Mission Statement: “To empower and inspire people of all communities to identify, pursue and sustain healthy, meaningful lives”.
MHAW strives to develop an authentic, diverse workforce that embraces, creates, respects and demonstrates diversity, equity, and inclusiveness in the work environment, towards one another and those we serve. We recognize that our agency is strongest when we all embrace the full spectrum of diversity and experience. We actively seek to employ a diverse workforce representative of the communities we serve.
MHAW is a pro-vaccination agency, and has required all staff to be fully vaccinated and encourages service recipients to be vaccinated against Covid-19.
Position: PROS Peer Specialist
Salary: $16.03 per hour
Hours: Part-time @ 18.75 hours per week
Location: Ronkonkoma, NY
We are seeking a PROS Peer Support Specialist who will work as part of a team of our PROS team in two roles:
1. Facilitation of 10-12 groups each week focused upon assisting PROS participants to consider and link to community self-help resources;
2. Provide in-person recovery and wellness-directed coaching and support to individuals and at times with families and other times via telephone communication
The successful candidate should possess or be quickly able to acquire the following skills and abilities:
· Working toward completion or completion of Peer Specialist Training.
· Working toward obtaining or has obtained the New York Peer Specialist Certification.
· Effective use of self-disclosure to inspire hope and support people experiencing emotional distress, substance use, diagnosed with psychiatric labels and/or who are trauma survivors
· Excellent inter-personal communication including the ability to establish empathic, empowering relationships with people who have experienced psychiatric disabilities and trauma
· Basic knowledge of the public mental health system, including self-help and empowerment programs that support recovery.
· Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19